The Council Tax combines a tax on property with a personal element depending on the status of the occupants of the property. As a full-time student, you may be exempt from Council Tax.
If your Council Tax Office asks you to produce a certificate confirming that you are a full-time student at the University, you may obtain one from your Faculty Office. Give a copy to your landlord and the Council Tax Unit and remember to keep a copy for yourself.
• You live in Halls of Residence
- You don’t have to pay Council Tax.
• You live on your own or everyone in your home is a student and you
live in owner occupied or
– You may not have to pay Council Tax.
- You may not have to pay Council Tax. But you’ll need to claim this exemption.
• You live in the same home as your landlord
- You aren’t responsible for paying the Council Tax. Your landlord may be able to claim a discount from the bill.
• You share parts of your home (such as a bathroom or kitchen) with other households but you pay your rent separately to the landlord.
- Again, you aren’t responsible for paying the Council Tax. The owner of the property is.
Examples of this would be groups of bedsits or nurses homes.
• You own or rent the whole of your home, but some of the people in your household aren’t students
- You’ll usually be responsible for paying the Council Tax – along with any joint owners or joint tenants living with you. But you may be able to claim a discount. If, however, you share a property jointly with non-students (which you do not own or are not the main tenant of) or share a tenancy with your partner who is not a student, then you may NOT have to pay Council Tax. Section 74 Local Government Act 2003 may apply to you in these circumstances.
• You may also be able to claim a Council Tax Rebate if:
- You either study part-time;
or – You are a single parent, or you or your partner are disabled or aged 60 or over;
or - Your partner is not a student (s/he needs to make a claim).
• If someone in your household is on a low income you may be able to claim a Council Tax Rebate based on their income, even if you study full-time.