This full-time intensive course is designed to give you the best possible preparation for success in the IELTS exam.
The course is suitable for:
- Students who want to enter the university and study for an undergraduate degree
- Students who want to enter the university and study for a postgraduate degree
- Students who want to improve their English for personal or professional purposes
The course provides a great foundation for study at university. You will concentrate on improving every aspect of your English. In addition to improving your key skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing, you will also learn about the British way of life, life at university, and you’ll develop important academic and professional skills.
Due to UKBA regulations, if you study on the IELTSplus course on a Tier 4 Visa, you will not be allowed to study on our Pre-sessional courses.
Please click on the link to the right for an outline of:
Route 1 (Combination Visa Route) which allows you to study on the IELTSplus and the Pre-sessional if needed to , to enter your Main Course.
Route 2 (Tier 4 Visa Route) which allows you to study on the IELTSplus course for direct entry onto your Main Course.
Route 3 (Tier 4 Visa Route) which allows you to study on the Pre-sessionals for entry onto your Main Course.
What you’ll learn
As part of the course, you will learn how to
- understand extended speech and lectures and follow complex lines of argument when the topic is familiar
- understand broadcast news and current affairs programmes
- understand the language of most films and dramas
- read general articles and reports with understanding
- understand contemporary literary prose and simplified classic literature
- read for information at speed, as tested in the IELTS exam
- interact fluently and spontaneously with native speakers
- take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts, accounting for and sustaining a point of view
- handle unprepared questions on personal and general matters as tested in the IELTS exam
- present clear, detailed descriptions on a wide range of subjects related to the academic field of interest and give general presentations
- explain a viewpoint on a topical issue eg presenting different sides of an argument
- write clear essays on a wide range of subjects as required in the IELTS exam
- write clear and accurate emails for general purposes
- write in detail on a topic relevant to the field of academic interest
The course is more than just an IELTS Course. That’s why it is IELTSPlus
The Plus factors
- You’ll focus on phrases, to help you sound more natural, feel more confident and speak more fluently
- You’ll focus on rapidly developing your vocabulary, learning 80 – 100 key useful expressions each week
- You’ll learn about Britain and the British way of life
- You’ll keep up to date with the news from around the world with our weekly news quiz
- You’ll meet the British and explore Manchester with our ‘out and about’ lessons outside the classroom
- Conversation club each week gives you a chance to practise what you have learnt in class, and to speak with students from other undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Film club each week is great for extensive listening practice, intercultural communication and fun
- Mixing with British students is important. We encourage you to do this in our conversation club, and we also organize shared learning activities
- Media centre projects will help you develop your IT skills and your research skills
- Professional and academic skills: you’ll develop research skills and many skills that will be helpful to you in your academic studies and in your business life, like problem-solving, researching topics, making presentations, decision-making, note-taking, cooperating with others in groupwork and more.
- You’ll have special lectures on a range of interesting topics by university lecturers to give you good practice for your listening skills, and to help you understand what to expect when you join an undergraduate or postgraduate course.
Start dates for our intensive IELTSPlus course:
||IELTS Entry level
(Other start dates may be possible by arrangement)
- Minimum age: 18
- Hours: 19 hours per week of classroom lessons, including media projects and guided self study
- Coursebook: Free
- IELTS exam: Free
- Free extras: Conversation club
- Film club
- Social programme
English Language Courses Routes
Sample IELTSPlus timetable
Application form for IELTSPlus
The Adobe Reader plugin
is required to view PDF documents.
Payments of the course fees are normally non-refundable except in the case of visa application refusal. Applicants are required to provide a copy of all documentation relating to the visa refusal. In other exceptional circumstances (e.g. illness) the refund shall be at the discretion of the Head of Department. Please note that an administration fee of 10% of the payment made applies.