Member of the Departmental Teaching and Learning Committee
Programme Leader of the BA Humanities and Social Studies (part-time mode)
- 1990 Manchester Metropolitan University, Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer, department_id. of History and Economic History
- 1989 Strathclyde University, Lecturer, department_id of Politics
- 1988 Antioch University, British Studies Centre, London, Academic Assistant to the Director
Catherine Danks is a political historian in the Department of History. Her teaching and research interests are in the areas of soviet history and contemporary Russian politics. She has recently completed a study of Russian Soldiers' Mothers Committees and is currently working on 'Politics-Russia' for Pearson. She is also a founder member and treasurer of the Global Studies Association.
USSR and China, C20th History, Post-Communist Russia, Women's History
Post Communist Russia, including the development of a civil society and human rights.
Russian anti-globalisation Russian historiography of the end of the USSR
National Recognitions / Responsibilities
On line Learning Development, Student Support and Dissemination:
- Converted the unit Post War World, 1945-89 to be partially delivered using WebCT
- Awarded an On Line Learning Fellowship by MMU, Summer term 1999
- Demonstrated On-line learning materials and contributed to forum web site
Online Learning forum, organised by MMU Educational Services, 22nd February 2000
- Demonstrated On-line learning materials as part of the Departmental users Development programme
Information and Comunication Technology Day, organised by Department of History and Economic History, MMU. Including contributions from Teeside University and UCL
5th April 2000
- Converted a component of the unit 'What is History?' to be delivered using WebCT
Financial support from the Learning and Teaching Committee of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Science MMU. Spring term 2000
- Converted the unit Post Communist Russia to partial delivery using WebCT
- Demonstrated On-line learning materials
HAN Conference: Online Conferencing in the Arts and Humanities at De Montford University, Milton Keynes. 13th October 2001
- Established a WebCT site for BA Humanities and Social Studies (Part time mode) students
- Delivered a paper on my experience of developing online learning materials
Seminar on Online Learning. Organised by the Senior Learning and Teaching Fellows in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Science, MMU. 17th April 2002
- 1981 MA Soviet Government and Politics, Essex University
- 1978 BA (Hons) Politics and Modern History, Manchester University
- Russian Politics and Society: An Introduction (Longmans: London, 2001)
(Forthcoming in Chinese) (Huaxia Publishing House: Beijing, 2003)
- Ch. 2 'Russia in Search of Itself' in
Globalization and National Identities: Crisis or Opportunity? co-editor with Paul Kennedy (Palgrave: London, 2001)
Papers delivered to international conferences 2003-4:
- 'The origins and development of the Russian Right's anti-globalisation' for the conference on Nationalist Myths and the Modern Media organized by the department_id. of German-Jewish Studies Sussex University. Held at Chatham House London October 2003.
- 'Russian Orthodox Fundamentalism and Anti-Globalisation: The mark of the beast and the coming apocalypse' Global Studies Association (USA), Brandeis University, April 2004
- 'Globalization and Russia's Identity'
First International Conference on 'Globalization and National Identities'
Organised by the Research Unit for Global Studies, MMU. 30th June - 2nd July 1999
Vol. 1 Conference Papers, ISBN 89999 27 15 8 - 899927 16 8
- 'Russia, globalization and advertising'
Second International Conference on 'Globalization and Everyday Life'
Organised by the Research Unit for Global Studies, MMU. 5th-7th July 2000
Vol 1 Conference Papers, ISBN 1 899927 21 2 -
- 'Nationalism and Regionalism in Post Communist Russia',
Conference on Regional Identities: Shifting Boundaries and Contested Meanings
Organised by the Department of History and Economic History, MMU.12th-13th September 2000
- 'Women and Politics in Post Communist Russia',
Heartlands and Peripheries in Women's History. Local, National and Global Perspectives
Women's History Network, 9th Annual Conference. 16th-17thSeptember 2000
- 'Materinskii prizyv: Ot materinstva k politicheskoi aktivnosti' , ('Mobilised Mothers: From Motherhood to Political Activism'),
VI Plekhanov Conference 'Russia: The One Century Way, 1900-2000'
Dom Plekhanova, St Petersburg, Russia. 30th May - 1st June 2002
- 'Russia and Human Rights',
Global Studies Association Conference on 'Global Ethics and Civil Society'
University of Surrey, Roehampton, 22nd-24th July 2002
- Russia's Stillborn Democracy? From Gorbachev to Yeltsin (Oxford: OUP, 2000)
Gill, Graeme& Markwick, Roger. Europe-Asia Studies, January 2001
- Political Culture of Russian 'Democrats' Oxford: OUP, 2000
- Russia's Liberal Project (University Park: Penn State Press, 2000)
- The Stalin Era London: Routledge, 2000
Boobyer, Philip. Political Studies (forthcoming)
Forthcoming (contracted) publications:
- Chapter "The Committees of Soldiers' Mothers: Mothers Confronting the Russian State" in Lievesley, Geraldine and Buckingham, Susan (eds) In the hands of women: Paradigms of citizenship (Manchester: MUP, 2005)
- Politics - Russia (Longmans: London, 2007)